The Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) brings you to the forefront of cybersecurity, digital transformation and engineering. From working on software development and systems integration to unmanned technologies and artificial intelligence, you can have an impact on Singapore’s defence.
Achieve your fullest potential with opportunities to build your technical expertise and hone your competencies in diverse domains. You can also expect an immersive learning experience, where you will work with bright minds and collaborate with global industry experts.
DSTA is recognised as one of the top 10 employers in the Engineering & IT sector, where our engineers and IT professionals work alongside procurement specialists to deliver state-of-the-art capabilities for Singapore’s peace and security.
Internship opportunities and a meaningful career await you.
Learn more about DSTA at https://www.dsta.gov.sg. You may also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any enquiries pertaining to careers.
Imagine developing the brain, heart and soul of complex systems that serve as the nerve centre to plan and monitor mission executions. If this sounds exciting to you and you are passionate about technology, we welcome you to join us on this journey!
At DSTA’s Command, Control and Communications Development (C3D) Programme Centre, we develop software systems that enable decision makers in the SAF and government agencies to execute missions successfully. We are looking for a Backend Developer with strong technical competencies and problem-solving skills to join us. You can find more examples of the systems we develop at https://www.dsta.gov.sg/programme-centres/c3d.
What can the team offer you?
Our Team: You will join a multi-disciplinary team of developers, architects and product managers who are passionate about creating meaningful and impactful software systems. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism.
Career Opportunities: We work on different projects, ranging from experimentations to operational system development in different domains spanning across Air, Land, Sea and Whole-of-Government systems. You will also have the flexibility and whitespace to work on exciting side projects and hone your skillsets in different technical areas like artificial intelligence, modelling and simulation, cybersecurity and internet of things (IoT). At times, you will have the chance to share at brown bag sessions and townhalls, as well as collaborate with worldwide leading research institutes and industry commercial partners.
Professional Development: There are numerous opportunities to grow and excel professionally in your career with us. From your first day with us, your onboarding experience includes mentorship, buddy system and technical courses to build your competencies and connect with colleagues on a personal level. On top of that, we work with DSTA’s in-house Academy to curate courses taught by both industry professionals as well as in-house lecturers.
Culture: We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance and allow for autonomy in the software development process and your career.
Once here you will
- Collaborate closely with product managers, developers and stakeholders to deliver valuable and impactful software that combat evolving threats.
- Work in a multidisciplinary software development team to define technical requirements and architecture, scope tasks, and develop software applications geared towards scale, robustness and performance.
- Design and develop robust backend services based on our Technology Stack.
- Perform automated build and tests in our DevSecOps pipeline.
- Adopt continuous delivery practices to improve software delivery performance.
- Exchange technical knowledge and experiences with like-minded developers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related fields.
- Candidates with more than 2 years of relevant working experience may be considered for a Senior Software Developer position.
Relevant experience and mindset
- Good knowledge in one or more programming languages, such as Java, C++, Python.
- Familiarity with networking protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP etc.), messaging protocols (e.g. MQTT etc.) and developing REST APIs.
- Familiarity with database storage technologies such as RDBMS and No-SQL.
- Good understanding of data structures, design patterns, algorithms and software design.
- Have a passion for software development and technology.
- Thrive in a team-oriented, project-based work environment.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills including the ability to deliver technical concepts clearly across different audiences.
- Have a passion for innovation and learning new software architectures, frameworks, languages and technologies.
It would be a bonus if you have
- Experience in Agile (e.g. Scrum or Extreme Programming) practices and software development lifecycle.
- Working experience with cloud computing providers (e.g. Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure etc.).
- Knowledge of microservices development and containerisation technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker etc.).
- Knowledge of DevSecOps practices, and use of continuous integration and continuous delivery tools.
- Knowledge of role-based access control, authentication and authorization.
- Experience with Linux OS.
- Knowledge of secure coding and cybersecurity.
If this sounds like the right environment for you to grow and thrive, then we are looking forward to getting to know you!
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
As DSTA is an agency under Ministry of Defence, only Singapore Citizens will be considered.